In the Jewish calendar, Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement) was the holiest and most important day of the year. In fact, it was so revered the Jews gave it a nickname. They simply called Yom Kippur “The Day”. In their minds and celebration, it was a definite day, unlike any other.
For those of us who are Jesus followers, Easter is “The Day” in our calendar. Today marks a high point in our observances. It’s a reminder that 2,000 years ago the most important event in history happened to the most important person in history: Jesus Christ rose from the dead!
Based on our festivities and economy, Christmas, for most Americans, is “The Day”. But truly, Christmas has no meaning without Easter. 1 Corinthians 15 tells us that. If Jesus is not raised, then the whole Christian faith is empty and we are just pitiful delusional people.
The good news is, Jesus has been raised and is still alive! That is not just a fact from the pages of yesterday, it is a life-changing truth for today. Jesus did rise. But He didn’t just rise for His own benefit. He rose for you! Here’s 20 biblical reasons why.
Jesus rose from the dead so that…
1. You might be motivated to go on a mission trip.
“Christ would…rise again…so that repentance would be proclaimed in all the nations.” -Luke 24:46-47
2. You might believe the Bible to be totally trustworthy.
“when He was raised…His disciples…believed the Scriptures and His word.” – John 2:22
3. You might be declared “in good standings” with God.
“He…was raised because of our justification.” – Rom 4:25
4. You might be new, from the inside out.
“as Christ was raised from the dead…so we too might walk in newness of life.” – Rom 6:4
5. You might have the best possible prayer Warrior before God.
“Christ…was raised, who is at the right hand of God, interceding for us.” – Rom 8:34
6. You might understand what the Old Testament is saying.
“He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures (OT)…” – 1 Cor 15:4
7. You might not fear death.
“God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death…” – Acts 2:24
8. You might know that Jesus is indeed the Son of God.
“Christ…was declared the Son of God with power by the resurection from the dead…” – Acts 13:33, Rom 1:4
9. You might stand before Him in judgment.
“He has fixed a day to judge the world…giving proof to all by raising Him from the dead.” – Acts 17:31
10. You too might be resurrected from the dead one day.
“God has not only raised the Lord…but will also raise us up through His power.” – 1 Cor 6:14
11. You might have something worthwhile to believe.
“if you…believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” – Rom 10:19
12. You might know Christianity is not a make-believe religion.
“if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.” – 1 Cor 15:14
13. You might be forgiven for your sins.
“if Christ has not been raised…[then] you are still in your sins.” – 1 Cor 15:17
14. You might stand with other believers in heaven one day.
“He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also…and present us with you.” – 2 Cor 4:14
15. You might know that God’s power is unstoppably great.
“you will know…the…greatness of His power… when He raised Him from the dead.” – Eph 1:20
16. You might know that Jesus is more important than anything.
“He is the firstborn from the dead, so that He will come to have first place in everything.” – Col 1:18
17. You might anxiously await His return & eternal protection.
“wait for His Son …whom He raised …who rescues us from the wrath to come.” – 1 Thess 1:10
18. You might live with hope every single day of your life.
“God…has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead…” – 1 Peter 1:3
19. You might place your faith where it should be.
“God raised Him from the dead…so that your faith and hope are in God.” – 1 Peter 1:21
20. You might have the gates of hell locked and the gates of heaven unlocked.
“I was dead…I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.” – Rev 1:18
Today is “The Day”. That’s 20 reasons why. Yes, Jesus rose for you.
Will you now believe in Him??